NEBCO, Inc. is a fourth-generation, family-owned and operated organization serving Nebraska and surrounding states with concrete and other building materials needed to construct buildings, bridges and roadways. NEBCO is made up of over 25 entities with business interests in concrete production, mining, heavy construction, construction bonding, real estate development, and recreation.
In 2018, NEBCO determined its legacy data center would require significant investment to replace aging equipment to stay current with the company’s needs.
Sirius helped NEBCO evaluate alternatives to updating its aging data center, including converged on-premises cloud options. Ultimately NEBCO selected a secure hybrid cloud solution based on VMware Cloud (VMC) on Amazon Web Services (AWS). The solution allowed the organization to seamlessly migrate and extend its environment to the AWS cloud, while continuing NEBCO’s investment in VMware virtualization infrastructure. The move to the public cloud also freed up NEBCO’s technical resources from routine tasks, allowing them to focus on line-of-business applications while reducing overall cost of ownership.
NEBCO engaged Sirius in 2018 to evaluate alternatives for required upgrades to their data center hardware and explore options such as a hybrid cloud model. The process began with a Sirius Cloud Readiness Review, where project requirements and technologies were identified, and cost analyses performed. The exercise revealed that NEBCO could avoid on-premises data center upgrade costs of more than $400,000 while implementing modern enhancements that far exceeded the capabilities of an on-premises upgrade. With the hybrid cloud solution, NEBCO gained:
- The highest availability and recoverability possible for its mission-critical applications such as concrete scheduling and delivery, the job costing system for construction projects, fleet and equipment maintenance, ticketing for sand, gravel and all ready-mixed concrete plants, and more
- Ultimate scalability by using computing resources on an as-needed basis
- Use of the vast AWS infrastructure including 55 data centers in 18 regions worldwide
- Better use of internal IT resources who have been freed from routine maintenance tasks to focus on improving strategic line-of-business applications
- Easy VMware skillset transition allowing for seamless and quick migration from on-premises to a cloud environment
“The solution Sirius brought to our attention was the perfect fit for us,” said NEBCO CIO Shawn Paskevic. “I’m certain that the reason our migration went so well is because of Sirius’ commitment to the project. Not only did NEBCO get a modern infrastructure solution, but one with a lower total cost of ownership than a traditional on-premises model. And it is really allowing my IT staff to spend more time doing things that make a difference, rather than things like swapping out a hard drive.”