NEBCO Transforms With A Hybrid Cloud Solution
NEBCO migrates to a secure hybrid cloud solution saving costs and increasing performance.
NEBCO, Inc. is a fourth-generation, family-owned and operated organization serving Nebraska and surrounding states with concrete and other building materials needed to construct buildings, bridges and roadways. NEBCO is made up of over 25 entities with business interests in concrete production, mining, heavy construction, construction bonding, real estate development, and recreation.
In 2018, NEBCO determined its legacy data center would require significant investment to replace aging equipment to stay current with the company’s needs.
Sirius helped NEBCO evaluate alternatives to updating its aging data center, including converged on-premises cloud options. Ultimately NEBCO selected a secure hybrid cloud solution based on VMware Cloud (VMC) on Amazon Web Services (AWS). The solution allowed the organization to seamlessly migrate and extend its environment to the AWS cloud, while continuing NEBCO’s investment in VMware virtualization infrastructure. The move to the public cloud also freed up NEBCO’s technical resources from routine tasks, allowing them to focus on line-of-business applications while reducing overall cost of ownership.
The Business Case for NEBCO’s Hybrid Cloud Approach
NEBCO engaged Sirius in 2018 to evaluate alternatives for required upgrades to their data center hardware and explore options such as a hybrid cloud model. The process began with a Sirius Cloud Readiness Review, where project requirements and technologies were identified, and cost analyses performed. The exercise revealed that NEBCO could avoid on-premises data center upgrade costs of more than $400,000 while implementing modern enhancements that far exceeded the capabilities of an on-premises upgrade. With the hybrid cloud solution, NEBCO gained:
- The highest availability and recoverability possible for its mission-critical applications such as concrete scheduling and delivery, the job costing system for construction projects, fleet and equipment maintenance, ticketing for sand, gravel and all ready-mixed concrete plants, and more
- Ultimate scalability by using computing resources on an as-needed basis
- Use of the vast AWS infrastructure including 55 data centers in 18 regions worldwide
- Better use of internal IT resources who have been freed from routine maintenance tasks to focus on improving strategic line-of-business applications
- Easy VMware skillset transition allowing for seamless and quick migration from on-premises to a cloud environment
“The solution Sirius brought to our attention was the perfect fit for us,” said NEBCO CIO Shawn Paskevic. “I’m certain that the reason our migration went so well is because of Sirius’ commitment to the project. Not only did NEBCO get a modern infrastructure solution, but one with a lower total cost of ownership than a traditional on-premises model. And it is really allowing my IT staff to spend more time doing things that make a difference, rather than things like swapping out a hard drive.”
- NEBCO avoided data center upgrades of over $400,000
- NEBCO freed up internal resources for strategic business applications
- Reduced capacity planning from several months to minutes
- Faster implementation periods, from months to days
VMware Cloud on AWS, an integrated cloud offering that was jointly developed by Amazon Web Services (AWS) and VMware to deliver a highly scalable, secure and innovative service for seamlessly migrating and extending on-premises VMware vSphere- based environments to the AWS Cloud running on next-generation Amazon Elastic Compute Cloud (Amazon EC2) bare metal infrastructure
Palo Alto Networks next-generation firewalls
Cisco routing and switching, firewall and endpoint protection, and DNS protection umbrella
Sirius is an AWS Advanced Consulting Partner and holds an AWS 100 Certified designation. We are Cisco Gold Partner, a Palo Alto Networks Next Wave Diamond Partner, and a VMware Premier Solution Provider. Sirius provides enterprise-class cloud services to organizations throughout North America. Our highly skilled, certified cloud experts provide a practical, agnostic approach and proven methodologies to help clients achieve their cloud goals.
Call Sirius today at 800-460-1237 to schedule a discussion of your needs, and to learn how Sirius can help you manage your operations, optimize your IT, secure it all, and transform your businesses.