Varonis compiled 60 cybersecurity statistics to give you a better idea of the current cybersecurity state, and we’ve broken out five key facts to help you rethink your data security program.
Show Me the Money
1. The Equifax breach cost the company over $4 billion in total, according to Time Magazine.
Lesson here: Even if your company doesn’t have the same number of customers or records as Equifax, your data is worth something to hackers. Don’t fall into the “it won’t happen to me” mentality.
2. According to Ponemon Institute’s 2018 Cost of Data Breach Study, $148 is the average cost per lost or stolen record per individual, depending on the country. Breaches are most expensive in the United States ($233) and Canada ($202).
Lesson here: Why are U.S. and Canadian businesses major targets for cybercriminals? Hackers go where the money is. Overall, the world’s top country with the most Global 500 companies is the U.S., clocking in 126, according to Global Finance.
3. According to Data Under Attack: 2018 Global Data Risk Report From the Varonis Data Lab, 65 percent of companies have over 500 users who are never prompted to change their passwords.
Lesson here: Do you have an enterprise password policy in place? Single-sign-on technology can improve your auditing, improve ease in account disabling, and boost compliance and security.
4. That same study showed that 41 percent of companies have over 1,000 sensitive files left unprotected, including credit card numbers and health records.
Lesson here: Stakes are high and you can’t afford holes in your security posture. Can you guess which industries cost the most? The top three are healthcare, financial and services, with education a close fourth.
5. The study went on to say that 21 percent of all files are not protected in any way.
Lesson here: Despite strict regulations, sensitive information is being left unprotected. Security permissions can help with this by limiting employee access based on rules you set up for their specific role.
Check out Varonis’ full list of 60 Must-Know Cybersecurity Statistics for 2019.
Sirius can help safeguard your data and assets by advancing your security program and optimizing your overall IT risk management strategy.
Sirius is a top-level Varonis Partner, and was recently honored with the 2018 Varonis Channel Partner VP Award. Contact Sirius to learn how we can help you improve your data security program, and how we team up with Varonis.